13. Counselling

Academic Problems
If you have any academic problems these should be discussed in the first instance with your present tutor or the supervising tutor in your own subject. The Senior Tutor is available for consultation if further help is needed, as is the University Counselling Service (see below).

If however the problem concerns the tutor’s teaching then the issue should be raised with the tutor concerned. If it cannot be satisfactorily resolved then it should be taken up with the supervising tutor. If it is still not resolved in a satisfactory way, then it should be referred to the Senior Tutor, and finally to the Principal. It is important to follow this procedure as many issues can be resolved at an early stage and thus unnecessary hurt and anguish may be avoided.

Financial Problems
If you think you will have problems in meeting your College bills (either fees or battels), please discuss your situation with either the Bursar or the Academic Administrator as soon as possible. The Academic Administrator can advise on sources of funding such as Student Loans, Hardship Loans and Hardship Funds. Under University regulations, you may be barred from University premises if you are in arrears with your course fee payments, and you cannot receive your degree if you have debts to the College or the University.

Personal Problems
You will find that your own subject tutors are always ready to lend an ear to any problems or worries you may have. However, you may prefer to talk problems over with senior members of the College because you know them or feel comfortable with them. The Junior Dean is also available to listen and help in any way he can. If you feel that you need professional counselling, you may contact the University Counselling Service at:

3 Worcester Street Oxford OX12BX Tel: 01865 270300 Email: counselling@admin.ox.ac.uk

Under the law it is a criminal offence to take, possess, manufacture, pass to others, or sell drugs; or to be knowingly concerned in the management of premises where any of these things are done. The College wishes its policy with regard to involvement with drugs to be clearly known and understood. Any member of the College who becomes involved in taking, manufacturing, passing to others, or selling drugs (e.g. heroin, amphetamine sulphate, LSD, ecstasy, cocaine and ‘crack’, etc.) must expect to be expelled. Involvement with drugs such as cannabis will result in discipline and even suspension.

Anyone requiring help of any sort in connection with drugs may take one or other of the following courses of action:

  1. medical help may be sought either from the College doctor or any other general practitioner.   The National Drugs Helpline can be contacted on 0800 776600 (freephone);
  2. there are two listening services, Nightline (run by students for students – 16 Wellington Square, tel. (2)70270: http://oxfordnightline.org/and the Samaritans (60 Magdalen Road, tel. 722122 any time, or try the national number 08457 909090);
  3. you may approach some member of the Senior Common Room, bearing in mind that responsibility to other members of College, and the law, may impose some limit on the degree of confidentiality that may be maintained.

Information on student health & welfare can be found at https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare?wssl=1.  HMC’s welfare page can be accessed here.