8. Financial Matters

We are a small college with limited resources. In order for the College to meet its own commitments and pay its bills, salaries and wages, it is important that all fees, dues and battels are paid by the end of the first week of each term. Accounts for extra meals will be billed to you at the end of term and must be paid before the beginning of the next term. Rooms reserved in College for part of the vacation must be paid for in advance. Payment for guestrooms must be made at the time of booking.

You will be issued with one invoice at the start of the academic year for all your fees and battels, although you may be able to split these payments over 2 or 3 terms. You will subsequently normally only receive invoices/credit notes for meals or meal credits arising during each term. Each term you will receive a statement showing the balance which remains outstanding on your account.

If fees and/or battels continue to be unpaid into the term then the College reserves the right to suspend tutorials and deny access to College rooms. No one with outstanding battels or fees from a previous term will be permitted to start the next term. The College reserves the right to claim a proportion of the fees from any person withdrawing from his or her course. All students will be required to pay a deposit to secure a room for the next academic year. Any student who, having reserved a room in College, then opts to live out without giving four weeks’ notice will be liable to pay up to four weeks’ battels. If, after having come into residence in College, a student chooses to move out, no refund of battels can be made for any proportion of the term remaining unless a suitable replacement can be found. Full details can be found in the Licence to Occupy.

UK/EU students are reminded that applications for assessment for support by LAs/DIUS have to be made annually. Even if you are not in receipt of any financial assistance with fees this annual renewal is required. Without it, the Government will not pay the College tuition fee, and you will be personally responsible for this as well as the University fee.

Living-in students are reminded that the battels cost includes meals as described in 10. below. It is not possible to live in college on a room-only basis.

Hardship Funds
The College has a small Hardship Fund to which all matriculated students may apply. There is also a University Hardship Fund. Both funds will only consider applications on the grounds of unexpected hardship: neither is able to support applicants who come to College with existing financial difficulties. Applications for both funds are made through the Academic Office. The University Hardship Fund considers applications each term: applications must be made by Friday of 5th Week in the Michaelmas and Hilary Terms, and Friday of 3rd Week in the Trinity Term. The College Hardship Fund considers applications throughout the year.

The JCR Trust was established to provide modest cash grants to HMC students who have a pressing short-term need for extra funds.  For further information please see http://www.hmc.ox.ac.uk/the-jcr-trust/.

The Access to Learning Fund is able to provide grants to ‘Home’ matriculated students only. Application forms will be available from the Academic office in the Michaelmas Term, and must be returned to the Student Funding Office in the University Offices, together with the supporting documentation required. See http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/assistance/hardship/alffor further details.

For further information about the above and other funds please see http://www.hmc.ox.ac.uk/current-students/applying-for-hardship-funds/.