Student Welfare

Student Welfare

To access the University’s webpage which provides information on accessing medical advice and guidance for staying healthy while studying at the University please click here. More detailed, college level information can be found below.

College Doctors & Medical Care

All students living in College must register with a doctor in Oxford, and preferably with the College doctors. It is important for you to register with a doctor as soon as possible. The College Doctors are the 19, Beaumont Street practice. You can register with their practice using the information sent out to you at the beginning of the year. While you will be registered with one of our College doctors, any doctor in the practice can be consulted if it is urgent for you to see a doctor at short notice. There is also a nurse who can be consulted during surgery hours for advice on minor ailments.

Students who register with a doctor other than the College doctors should be aware that they will be personally responsible for paying any fees incurred for doctor's certificates.


Appointments may be may by telephoning 01865 240501, (or if you use the telephone in the Library entrance on #6 411) or by calling at the Reception Desk at the surgery;

Monday to Friday: 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.  Tuesday & Thursday evenings: open till 7:30pm Saturday mornings: 08:30 - 12:00

Night and Weekend Visits

A doctor is available for urgent medical calls when the surgery is closed. If you require a visit after 6 p.m. or at the weekend after 12noon. on Saturday, telephone Oxford 250501 (or #6 411 on the telephone in the Library entrance). A recorded message will give you the number of the doctor on duty. Alternatively please ring 111.

Emergency Calls

In case of emergency please ring 999. A list of trained first-aiders can be found on notice boards in the College.

For information about emergency services and out of hours medical services please see

Medical Care for Overseas Students

All students resident in Britain for a course of study of six months or longer will be entitled to medical health care under the National Health Service but medication and drugs may have to be paid for and there is a newly introduced immigration health charge (please see below for details). If you are here for less than six months, you will be liable to pay for all consultations and treatment, and you are advised to take out insurance to cover this.  Immigration health charge: for access to NHS services for student visa holders coming for more than six months. This will be £150 a year, per year of the course, and paid in advance at the time of the visa application. It will apply to those making a visa application, or extending a current visa, on or after 6 April 2015.  Further details are explained on the UKCISA website, and the student visa webpages.

For international students who are unfamiliar with the NHS an explanation of services available and how to access them please click here.  Further information can be found on the University website here.

Academic Problems

If you have any academic problems these should be discussed in the first instance with your present tutor or the supervising tutor in your own subject. The Senior Tutor is available for consultation if further help is needed, as is the University Counselling Service (see below).

If however the problem concerns the tutor's teaching then the issue should be raised with the tutor concerned. If it cannot be satisfactorily resolved then it should be taken up with the supervising tutor. If it is still not resolved in a satisfactory way, then it should be referred to the Senior Tutor, and finally to the Principal. It is important to follow this procedure as many issues can be resolved at an early stage and thus unnecessary hurt and anguish may be avoided.

The Take 5 Exam Panic: Innovation Fund project pilot to help Oxford students understand and manage their exam panic using mindfulness theory and exercises.

Financial Problems

If you think you will have problems in meeting your College bills (either fees or battels), please discuss your situation with either the Bursar or the Academic Administrator as soon as possible. For information on sources of Hardship Funds please see

Personal Problems

You will find that your own subject tutors are always ready to lend an ear to any problems or worries you may have. However, you may prefer to talk problems over other members of the College because you know them or feel comfortable with them.

The Junior Dean is also available to listen and help in any way he can and can be reached on 01865 (2)81470 or 07909476586 [11.30pm to 8.30am] or


Counselling Service
If you feel that you need professional counselling, you may contact the University Counselling Service at 3 Worcester Street (2)70300 or email  For information about the Counselling Service and how to book an appointment please see

Counselling Service Podcasts
The Counselling Service has produced some helpful podcasts which can be accessed here.  Topics covered include:
- Exam preparation and revision
- Can't work
- Mature students
- Advice for freshers
- International students
- Can't stop work?
- Mindful breathing space
- Helping yourself to sleep
- Daydreaming about 'rustication'? For students considering suspending their studies, but unable to decide
- The Price of success: common experiences of high-achieving students
- The relentless drive for perfection: a student context
- The pressure to be perfect: ways of responding
- Self-compassion

Sexual Assault & Sexual Harassment

Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment

In the instance of sexual assault we would advise that you attend a Sexual Assault Referral Centre.  The nearest centres to Oxford are Bicester or Milton Keynes and, in the event of assault, the College will pay for a taxi to and from a centre.  We would suggest that you bring someone with you for support, either a friend or the Junior Dean

The SARC centre opening hours are listed here  If the assault happens outside of  these hours call 999 instead.

For further information please see:

Solace (Sexual Assault Referral Centre):

Oxford Sexual Abuse & Rape Crisis Centre: Telephone Helpline: 01865 726 295 or freephone 0800 783 6294 24 Hour Answerphone: 01865 726 295

Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service: The Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service is an all-in-one provision for any students regardless of age or gender who have been affected by sexual harassment or violence. They provide free support and advice, along with a safe place to be heard independent of your college or department.  They support students in all situations, whether the experiences of sexual harassment or violence happened in Oxford or elsewhere, and whether it was recent or in the past.  They will support you at your pace and will help you to explore your options, and be here to support you whatever you choose to do.  For further information please see

Oxford Against Sexual Violence:  For information regarding support available to those who have experienced sexual harassment and violence please see

Further resources are listed below.

Drink Spiking

Every year in the UK, hundreds of people are thought to be victims of drink spiking, where alcohol or drugs are added to someone's drink without them knowing. In some cases, so-called "date rape drugs" may be used to spike a drink before a sexual assault. Many more incidents happen abroad or go unreported because of embarrassment or memory loss.

Most date rape drugs take effect within 30 minutes, and symptoms usually last for several hours. But if you pass out, it'll be hard to know the full effect. You may still feel some of the symptoms of a date rape drug after a night's sleep.

Although your symptoms will depend on which substance has been used, they usually include some of the following:

- Lowered inhibitions

- Difficulty concentrating or speaking

- Loss of balance and finding it hard to move

- Visual problems, particularly blurred vision

- Memory loss (amnesia) or "blackouts"

- Feeling confused or disorientated, particularly after waking up (if you have been asleep)

- Paranoia (a feeling of fear or distrust of others)

- Hallucinations (seeing, hearing or touching things that aren't there) or having an "out of body" experience

- Nausea and vomiting

- Unconsciousness

How to avoid drink spiking

If your drink has been spiked, it's unlikely that you'll see, smell or taste any difference. Some drugs, such as GHB, may taste slightly salty or smell unusual.

If you start to feel strange or more drunk than you should be, get help immediately.

The following steps may help prevent drink spiking:

- Never leave your drink unattended, and keep an eye on your friends' drinks.

- Don't accept a drink from someone you don't know.

- Consider sticking to bottled drinks and avoiding punch bowls or jugs of cocktails.

- Don't give out your address to someone you have just met.

- If you think your drink's been tampered with, don't drink it – tell a trusted friend or relative immediately.

- Before going out, let someone know where you're going and what time you expect to be home.

- Make plans for your journey home.

  • Avoid taking expensive equipment with you or anything that could be a target for thieves.

For further advice please see the NHS guidelines which can be accessed here.


Under the law it is a criminal offence to take, possess, manufacture, pass to others, or sell drugs; or to be knowingly concerned in the management of premises where any of these things are done. The College wishes its policy with regard to involvement with drugs to be clearly known and understood. Any member of the College who becomes involved in taking, manufacturing, passing to others, or selling drugs (e.g. heroin, amphetamine sulphate, LSD, ecstasy, cocaine and 'crack', etc.) must expect to be expelled. Involvement with drugs such as cannabis will result in discipline and even suspension.

Anyone requiring help of any sort in connection with drugs may take one or other of the following courses of action:

  1. medical help may be sought either from the College doctor or any other general practitioner. The National Drugs Helpline can be contacted on 0800 776600 (free phone), or you may wish to look at this NHS-run site for general information:
  2. you may approach the Drug Squad of the Thames Valley Police (telephone 249881).
  3. there are two listening services, Nightline (run by students for students - 16 Wellington Square, tel. (2)70270:, and the Samaritans (123, Iffley Road, tel. 722122 any time, or try the national number 08457 909090);
  4. you may approach some member of the Senior Common Room, bearing in mind that responsibility to other members of College, and the law, may impose some limit on the degree of confidentiality that may be maintained.
Useful Health & Welfare Links

Health and Welfare links

Oxford Safe Haven: Oxford Safe Haven (OSH) provides an additional resource to out-of-hours service and is an alternative to hospital emergency departments for people experiencing a crisis with their mental health.

Nightline: confidential listening, support and information service.  01865 (2)70270  open 8pm-8am, 0th-9th Week.  Nightline can also be reached on Skype by searching for username oxfordnightline

The Oxfordshire Mind Guide: Up-to-date directory on all mental health services in Oxfordshire, covering recovery and support groups and community mental health services

Mind, national mental health charity:  0300 123 3393 - Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm or

Student-Run Student Minds:

No Panic:  for panic attacks and anxiety disorders, 0844 967 4848

Samaritans: for mental health concerns 08457 90 90 90 – Open 24/7 every day of the year

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Information:

Help is at Hand: support and guidance for those bereaved following suicide

Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide Support Group

OUSU Advice on Harassment and Abuse: Email 01865 288466 Visit us at 2 Worcester Street Oxford OX1 2BXDrop in Mondays 10am-12 noon; Wednesdays: 12-2pm; Friday 2pm-4pm.  For information about the OUSU Student Advice Service please click here.

Solace (Sexual Assault Referral Centre):

Oxford Sexual Abuse & Rape Crisis Centre: Telephone Helpline: 01865 726 295 or freephone 0800 783 6294 24 Hour Answerphone: 01865 726 295

It Happens Here:  Oxford student website explaining options and resources available after sexual violence

First Response App:  An app developed specifically for Oxford University, providing survivors of sexual violence information on response options and support resources

The following podcast is available:

Sexual Violence: the spectrum of support available to survivors

The University has produced the following website which provides information for those who have experienced sexual violence which explains the help that is available to them across the collegiate University:

Harassment Policy

The College's Harassment Policy can be found here.

A flowchart of how College procedures work for harassment related complaints can be found here.

The College's Harassment Officers are Dr Isabel Ruiz [Phone: 01865 (2)71026] ( Joshua Hordern (

If you are experiencing harassment then there is available a harassment line for confidential advice: / (2)70760.


The College's Disability Officer is Ashley Walters who can be found in the Academic Office or alternatively can be reached by phone on 01865 (2)71009 or by email on  Students are encouraged to contact her with any questions or concerns they may have relating to disability.  Harris Manchester's has two contacts at the University Disability Advisory Service: Sarah Jones, who manages mental health disabilities (, and Rachel Steadman ( who manages all other disabilites.  Both are based in the University Disability Advisory which is located at 3 Worcester Street.  For further information about the University Disability Advisory Service please see

To access information on which venues are accessible please download the Sociability App here.

Prevent Related Issues

Any Prevent related issue should be reported initially to the Bursar (, who is the Prevent Officer, and he in turn will report to the University, via the central University Prevent-related welfare referral procedure

More information on the Prevent Strategy is available at