About the Chapel

The Chapel, which was designed by Worthington and Elgood of Manchester, was dedicated in 1893. The original windows were of plain glass; the oak screen was added in 1896; seating was on individual chairs, until the installation of the pews in 1897.
The shields on the screen chart the College’s peripatetic history, moving from Warrington to York, to Manchester, and to London, before settling in Oxford in 1893.
The organ pipes were painted by Morris and Co., but the College tradition that William Morris himself painted them in situ is unfortunately false, since he died a year before they were commissioned.
The stained glass was installed between 1895 and 1899.