The windows which are now the glory of the chapel replaced the original plain glass between 1895 and 1899. They are all by Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris, making the chapel the only room in Oxford to be lit entirely by Morris/Burne-Jones glass. Perhaps the most striking are the Six Days of Creation, installed in 1896 on the North wall, a gift of James and Isabella Arlosh, in memory of their son, Godfrey. Six angels carry the earth as it was on successive days of Creation, with the previous days’ angels crowding in behind each new one. The motto ‘elargissez dieu’, a quotation from Diderot, can be translated as ‘broaden your idea of God’.
The windows facing the Creation series represent virtues, such as generosity, charity and humility. In the choir, facing the organ pipes, two small windows in delicate, softer colours, reflect a musical theme: Miriam, sister of Moses, accompanying her own song with cymbals, and David, composer of the Psalms, with his harp. Both were added to the Chapel in 1900.
There is also a fine run of stained glass in the Library including portraits of original supporters of the College, and an extraordinary window reflecting religion through the ages in the library oriel.