History of Harris Manchester College
College is Founded
Harris Manchester College was originally founded as the Warrington Academy.
Re-Founded in Manchester
The College was re-founded in Manchester in 1786 to train people for the learned professions and civil and commercial life.
John Dalton Appointed Professor
John Dalton, famous for his atomic theory, was appointed a Professor of the College.
College Becomes a Collegiate Society
College receives a Royal Letter in Council signed by Queen Victoria, making it a Collegiate Society of the University of London, with the same status as University College and King’s College.
College Moves To Oxford
Following an act of Parliament which abolished religious tests at Oxford, Cambridge and Durham Universities, the College moved to Oxford with the intention of joining the University of Oxford.
College Becomes a Hall
It was not until 1990 that the College became a Hall of the University of Oxford.
College Granted a Royal Charter
The College was granted a Royal Charter, making it the thirty-ninth College of the University of Oxford, and following a generous benefaction from Lord Harris and his family it became known as Harris Manchester College. Harris Manchester College is now the thirty-seventh College of the University of Oxford following the merger of Templeton College and Green College.