The post is a full-time position, based in Oxford, combining the financial and domestic bursarial roles. The College is looking for someone to provide innovative leadership, working in partnership with the Principal, Fellows and staff, and to build relationships at all levels. It is essential that the new Bursar is in tune with the ethos and communal life of the college, and that they are able to represent and champion the College in the University, alongside the Principal. The Bursar reports to the Principal and the Governing Body, and will be a Fellow of the College and a member of Governing Body.
The duties of the post include, inter alia:
(1) Domestic bursar of the College with management of the following departments, each of which has their own head who manages day-to-day matters:
• Bursary Office
(2) Accountant of the College responsible for the financial affairs of the College, working with a team of three staff:
• Preparation of annual budgets, monthly management accounts, annual SORPS accounts
• Administration of two pension schemes and preparation of monthly payments
• Control and supervision of payrolls
• Preparation of quarterly VAT returns
• Management of cash flow, approval of payments, control of investment income
• Administration of the investment portfolio, including attendance at investment meetings
• Control and administration of the finances of three centres/institutes associated with the College, and attendance at meeting related to those.
• Involvement in all capital expenditure decisions and control of all payments
In addition, the Bursar is also required to:
Oversee statutory compliance of regulations for the College in areas such as Employment Law, Health and Safety, Risk Assessments, Diversity and Inclusion, GDPR, and Prevent.
Prepare any statutory returns, ad hoc reports, and reports required by the University and the Conference of Colleges or outside bodies.
Attend Domestic and Estates Bursars meetings, and other meetings of the colleges of the University as required.
Our new Bursar will have a proven financial background and should be a qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or ACMA) in order to undertake the ‘hands-on’ financial function, which is essential to the running of the College. The Bursar should have proven leadership skills, including flexibility, energy, imagination and courage.
As a college, we pride ourselves on providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for our fellows, students, staff, and visitors, and we are looking for someone with the human qualities of empathy and kindness.
The position is permanent, following a probationary period of 6 months
• The salary will be based on the University Grade 10S £54,765 to £69,331
• The College has an Equal Opportunities policy which is followed in the making of appointments and subsequent progression in employment
• Confirmation of employment will be subject to the requirements of current and relevant immigration and employment legislation
• The College adopts the University scheme in determining pay during periods of sickness absence
• There will be an entitlement to 6 weeks of holiday, plus the normal bank holidays
Please apply with a letter of application addressed to the Principal, plus full c.v. and details of two referees, and send to:
Harris Manchester College
Or you may send your application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to find out more about the post, please contact Suzi Willis, the current Bursar, at: email@example.com
Closing date: Friday April 19th
Interviews will be held in May
Commencement of employment: summer 2019