Medical and Dental

College Doctors

All students living in College must register with a doctor in Oxford, and preferably with the College doctors. It is important for you to register with a doctor as soon as possible. The College Doctors are the 19, Beaumont Street practice. You can register with their practice using the information sent out to you at the beginning of the year. While you will be registered with one of our College doctors, any doctor in the practice can be consulted if it is urgent for you to see a doctor at short notice. There is also a nurse who can be consulted during surgery hours for advice on minor ailments.

Students who register with a doctor other than the College doctors should be aware that they will be personally responsible for paying any fees incurred for doctor's certificates.


Appointments may be may by telephoning 01865 240501, (or if you use the telephone in the Library entrance on #6 411) or by calling at the Reception Desk at the surgery;

Monday to Friday: 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.  Tuesday & Thursday evenings: open till 7:30pm Saturday mornings: 08:30 - 12:00

Night and Weekend Visits

A doctor is available for urgent medical calls when the surgery is closed. If you require a visit after 6 p.m. or at the weekend after 12noon. on Saturday, telephone Oxford 250501 (or #6 411 on the telephone in the Library entrance). A recorded message will give you the number of the doctor on duty. Alternatively please ring 111.

Emergency Calls

In case of emergency please ring 999. A list of trained first-aiders can be found on notice boards in the College.

For information about emergency services and out of hours medical services please see


To find a dentist please see  For urgent appointments please call 111.

Medical Care for Overseas Students

All students resident in Britain for a course of study of six months or longer will be entitled to medical health care under the National Health Service but medication and drugs may have to be paid for and there is a newly introduced immigration health charge (please see below for details). If you are here for less than six months, you will be liable to pay for all consultations and treatment, and you are advised to take out insurance to cover this.  Immigration health charge: for access to NHS services for student visa holders coming for more than six months. This will be £150 a year, per year of the course, and paid in advance at the time of the visa application. It will apply to those making a visa application, or extending a current visa, on or after 6 April 2015.  Further details are explained on the UKCISA website, and the student visa webpages.

For international students who are unfamiliar with the NHS an explanation of services available and how to access them please click here.  Further information can be found on the University website here.